What according to you mushrooms are? Are they fruit, vegetable, plant or anything else? So, lemme clear that Mushrooms although comes in the category of vegetables, but actually they are the part of kingdom fungi. Hence, Mushrooms are neither a fruit nor a plant but an edible fungus. There are various types, benefits and nutrition of mushrooms along with the uses.
- Cholesterol free
- Sodium free
- Low calories
- Gluten free
- Fat free
Let us discuss, types, benefits and nutrition profile of mushrooms in detail.
NUTRITIVE VALUE OF MUSHROOMS:
However, Mushrooms are highly loaded with Protein, Soluble Fiber, B Vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Selenium.
They are also rich in Calcium, Potassium, Phosphors, and Iron.
It contain approx.
Calories → 22 Cal in 100g of mushrooms
Fiber → 0.7g
Fat → 0.2g
Carbohydrates → 2.3g
Protein → 2.2g
- Protein content in mushrooms helps in the building up of new cells and tissues.
- Due to high fiber, it helps in weight reduction and skin detoxification.
- It makes an individual fuller and helps the curb hunger.
- The fiber present in mushrooms are easily digestible as mushrooms have soluble fiber.
- Mushrooms are good for diabetic patients due to high fiber profile as it is said that diabetic who takes a high fiber diet tends to have lower blood glucose level and therefore their insulin level is used to be in under control.
- Mushrooms are loaded with B Vitamins like Riboflavin, niacin and Pantothenic acid.
- Niacin helps in good and healthy digestive system while on the other hand pantothenic acid is good for nervous system.
- It also helps the body to make more hormones that are required for the body of any particular individual.
- Presence of Vitamin C & Potassium in mushrooms is good for cardiovascular system.
- Because Vitamin C helps in iron absorption and Potassium helps in controlling blood pressure.
- Hence, consumption of mushrooms helps in lowering blood pressure and prevents Heart disease.
- OK! So do you know? Just like human mushrooms produce Vitamin D in sunlight.
- Yes! Mushrooms are the only fruit of vegetable source of Vitamin- D.
- (Exposing mushrooms to the high level of Ultraviolet before sending them to market for sell, coverts more of plants sterol, ergosterol into so-called sunshine vitamin).
- Selenium helps in strengthen the immune system of any individual and fight against infections or from any harmful bacteria.
- Selenium is the powerful antioxidant which prevent cell damage.
- Mushrooms also have beta glucan fiber, which prevent the formation of tumors and fight from cancer cells.
- Indigestible Carbohydrates called → chitin in mushrooms, gives “bulk” to our diet.
- Mushrooms are highly loaded with calcium which helps in development and strength of bones.
- People having problem with joint pains can be cured by adding mushrooms into the diet. Osteoporosis can be rectified by consuming mushrooms.
NOTE: Portobello mushrooms are fortified with Vitamin D.
For gist, Mushrooms:
1. Helps Keeping Heart Healthy.
Potassium, vitamin C →helps in cardiovascular health.
Potassium and sodium work together to regulate blood pressure.
2. Helps Eating antioxidants.
Helps in fighting free radical.
ORAC → oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity.
Cremini and Portobello mushrooms were approximately same as for red pepper.
3. Help Kicking up Metabolism.
Carbohydrates is the fuel for body which is present in mushrooms.
100g of Cremini contain 44% of daily recommended amount.
White button mushrooms have 36 and 30% of daily recommended amount.
Cyster mushrooms have 32 and 39% of daily recommended amount.
4. Help keeping bladder healthy and good.
High level of selenium measured in blood serum and toenails.
Reduces the risk of bladder cancer.
Mushrooms can be classified as:
Selenium have the protective effect among women mostly.
- Edible Mushrooms
- Inedible Mushrooms
Figure 1.1, shows the classification of mushrooms.
WELL, Edible Mushrooms are composed of stem, cap and gills.
EDIBLE MUSHROOMS are those fungi which can be eaten by human beings. That is to say, these are the fleshy and edible bodies of fungi.
Here are some examples of edible mushrooms.
NON-EDIBLE MUSHROOMS are those fungi which are harmful to be human beings. These mushrooms are tends to be wild and may cause some serious illness.
So, it is very important to be careful while picking any unknown mushroom.
Here are some examples of non-edible mushrooms.
POISONOUS MUSHROOMS are those mushrooms which are may even cause death if consumed. These type of mushrooms can even cause death by touching. The harmful toxin compound in such type of mushroom is enough to kill anybody.
So it is very important to know whether the mushroom which are being to be touched is wild or edible.
Here are some examples of poisonous mushrooms with pictures.
Hence, mushrooms whether it is edible have various types with different name , benefits and nutrition.
Eating wild mushrooms are really very toxic to humans. It can cause illness or even death.
Due to high metals content and other harmful chemical.
Beta-glucan is present in mushrooms and it is also safe for most of the people.
It is capable of stimulating immune function but it may be a risk for those who are suffering from ARTHRITIS, LUPUS, and ASTHMA.
Hence, large amount of beta-glucan have negative impact on such kind of people who are suffering from these diseases.
HOW TO IDENTIFY EDIBLE MUSHROOMS:
Be careful while identifying mushrooms.
Mushrooms with gills that are brown or tan are considered to be edible.
Amanitas, these mushrooms are poisonous because they have white gills.
Choose mushrooms with white, tan or brown caps and stems.
Do not touch or choose mushrooms with red on the cap or stem because These kind of mushrooms are extremely dangerous.
Also do not touch the species of which you are unaware of. If accidentally you touched them immediately wash your hand and sanitize your hands.
Unless you are an expert in mushroom foraging, steer clear of mushrooms growing wild in yard or garden.
Although wild mushrooms can taste good, but toxic in them can cause illness and death too.
TO KNOW IF MUSHROOMS ARE EDIBLE:
- Take mushrooms.
- Then, Apply some amount of turmeric (haldi) powder on them.
- Set them aside for some time and observe.
- After that, If they turn black, that means they are not edible.
- Therefore, Use the one that do not change the color.
- While buying mushrooms, choose only those kind of mushrooms which are firm, dry and unbruised.
- Do not take slimy or withered.
- Also, Always store them in refrigerator.
- Don’t wash or cut mushrooms until you have to cook.
SOME METHODS MAKE MUSHROOMS TASTY
- If you are using Portobello mushrooms, removing the stem of them and marinating the only the caps of mushrooms with olive oil, salt, black pepper, onion, garlic and vinegar for 1 hour, and grilling them for at least 10 min. these can really make your mushrooms tastier.
- You can make cheese stuffed mushrooms.
- You can mushroom tikkies by roasting mushrooms and then adding them into the boiled potatoes.
- Similarly, you can make mushrooms cutlets.
- You can mushrooms into your chili potatoes.
- Mushrooms can also be consumed as topping a salad with raw, sliced cremini or white buttons. Also with the salad of broccoli.
So, in this article we have discussed all the types of mushrooms along with its nutrition profile and benefits.
To know some more interesting recipe comment below the blog post or feel free to contact me by filling the contact form or by following me on my social networking sites.