MORINGA OLEIFERA OR DRUMSTICKS
MORINGA OLEIFERA LAM or MUNGA (Subadra S., 2003), a tree or a plant of about 8-15 meters tall.
The wood of this tree is comparatively soft as compared to other trees. It has the pods for completing the nutritional need of people.
Drumsticks are highly nutritive. It is marketed as a “SUPER FOOD” in west.
It consist of a lot of nutrient. Like Vitamin A, C and also milk protein (i.e., lactose), flavonoid, steroids, glycosides, fixed oils and fats.
Moringa Oleifera is also known as Horse-radish tree, drumstick tree (Sahajana in Hindi).
It is marketed as a “SUPER FOOD” in the west.
Moringa is a plant or tree which comes in the family of MORINGACEACE. The fast growing plant.
It has high nutritive profile as it consist of vital minerals like → iron, potassium, calcium, copper, zinc, magnesium, manganese etc.
Also essential amino acids.
Different parts of plants like seeds, bark, leaves, flowers, roots and immature pods consist a large number of nutritive value.
All over, it can be said that Drumstick has the high nutritive value.
There are various role of drumsticks in medical system such as Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Naturopathy, Yoga etc. Due to presence of phytochemical.
The water compelling and water purification capacity help in prevention of diseases.
100 gm of leaf contains about 9 times of vitamin A of carrots, 15 gm of potassium of bananas etc.
Leaves of this plant contains rich source of antioxidants, including beta-carotene, Vitamin C and chlorogenic acid (Birendra K.P, 2017).
This is how the Moringa Oleifera looks like:
A → Moringa Oleifera tress or drumstick tree
B → Moringa flower
C → Drumsticks or Moringa sticks
D → Moringa seeds
There are various health benefits of Moringa plant (Birendra K.P, 2017) are as follows:
- Drumsticks or Moringa leaves helps in cardiovascular activity as the ethanolic extract of its leaves act as anti-hypertensive or hypotensive activity.
- The alcoholic extract from the bark of Moringa plant helps in weight reduction of stones. As it possesses both preventive and curative property.
- It also act as anti-asthmatic activity.
- The powder of its seeds is good for the cure of bronchial asthma. And also the juice of its leaves helps in the prevention of other respiratory problem like BRONCHITIES AND TUBERCLOUSIS.
- Also the extract of its leaves restores amine level of brain which may be very effective in ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE. Hence it also helps in the proper functioning of central nervous system activities. Moringa can be used as the potent neuroprotectant (GopalaKrishnan L., 2016)
- It can also be used for the treatment of anemia because the dried powder of Moringa can be used as the substitute for iron tablets.
- It also possesses anti-inflammatory activities, anti-diabetic activities, anti-microbial activities, anti-fertility activities and so on.
- Methanolic extract of Moringa Oleifera roots, doses of the crude extract on liver and kidney function is also reported.
- It also helps in sexual disorders and cure sexually transmitted diseases.
- It is good for keeping the blood pressure under control.
- Human consumption of Moringa leaves has been applied to the treatment of conditions as CANCER, REGULATION OF BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVEL, ANTIBIOSIS (Jed W.F, 2019).
- Moringa contain a lot of minerals which are very essential for the growth and development of human being, Calcium is one of them.
Where 8 ounce of milk gives → 300-400 mg of calcium
Moringa leaves gives → 1000 mg of calcium and its powder provides → 4000 mg of calcium
A research shows that immature pods contains around 46.78% of fiber, 20.66% of protein.
Pods have→ 30% of amino acids, leaves contain 44% and flowers → 31% (GopalaKrishnan L., 2016).
- SEEDS of Moringa helps in the treatment of ARTHRITIS, EPILEPSY, and GOUT etc.
- Moringa also possesses the anti-tumor activity as well as shoes the anti-elastogenic properties. It was also discovered that Moringa extract act as anti-fibrotic/ulcer (Razis A., 2014).
- Moringa decreases acidity and therefore used as anti-ulcer agent (GopalaKrishnan L, 2016)
The nutrients composition of leaves, leaf powder and pods (GopalaKrishnan L., 2016):
|NUTRIENTS||FRESH LEAVES||DRY LEAVES||LEAF POWDER||PODS|
|VITAMIN C (mg)||220||15.8||17.3||120|
Source: (GopalaKrishnan L., 2016)
All values are 100g per plant material.
Seeds also have high nutritive profile as it consist→ fatty acids – Linoleic acid, Linolenic acid, Behenic acid, Vitamin- C, amino acids, Fiber, Protein, Minerals.
It can be preserved for long time without the loss of nutrients.
Drying and freezing can be done to store the leaves.
A report by Yang et al, A low temperature oven can be used to dehydrate the leaves retained more nutrients except vitamin-c than freeze dried leaves.
Preservation by dehydration improves the shelf life of Moringa without any change in its nutritional value.
An over dose of 70g of Moringa may cause high accumulation of iron.
High iron can cause gastrointestinal distress and hemochromatosis.
Hence, 70g of Moringa is suggested as a daily dose to prevent over accumulation of nutrients. It can cure more than 3000 diseases (GopalaKrishnan L, 2016).
Seeds are used to extract oils→ Ben oil. They rich in oleic acid, tocopherols and sterols withstand oxidative rancidity.
The oil made up of Moringa seeds can also be used as the substitute of Olive Oil, as a perfume or also can be used for lubrication.
It is also used in cosmetic and a source of biodiesel while the seedcakes can be used as a green manure or a fertilizer.
The presence of PUFA in the pods can be used in the diet of obese.
The taste of flower is just same as the taste or mushrooms when cooked.
Roots have the medical value so, roots are good for the cure of dyspepsia, and eye related diseases and heart problems.
They are also used in spices (GopalaKrishnan L., 2016).
For glossy and lustrous hair
- Take Moringa leaves extract.
- Add it in warm milk.
- Either apply directly on hair or just drink it on the regular bases.
It not only make the hair shiny but also used as tonic to purify blood and build strong bones (Subadra S., 2003).
You can make Moringa leave powder at home by drying up the Moringa leaves at home.
- You can make herbal tea with the powder of Moringa leaves by adding the powder in hot water and then adding honey for sweeting similarly cold tea can also be made (Jed W.F, 2019).
- You can also make Moringa soup.
- Moringa sticks or drumsticks masala vada or add them into Sambhar too (Subadra S., 2003).
- You can make many other snacks with Moringa Oleifera like Moringa bars, Moringa cookies and so on.
- Moringa cookies can be made by adding Moringa seed flour (7.5%) to maze flour (92.5%) (GopalaKrishnan L., 2016).
To know some more interesting recipe comment below the blog post or feel free to contact me by filling the contact form or by following me on my social networking sites.