Broccoli is considered to be the super food to consume. It is the green plant comes in the family of cabbage.
Scientific name of Broccoli is Brassica oleracea var. italic. Origin of it is from Italy. It is derived from the Italian word broccoli which mean ‘cabbage sprout’.
It is highly nutritive and the healthiest veggie.
Broccoli is rich in many nutrients, it is highly super loaded with VITAMINS & MINERALS.
It enriches Vitamin – C, Vitamin – A, D, E, K and Vitamin B complex and minerals like potassium (K), calcium (Ca), zinc (Zn), magnesium (Mg), iron (Fe) etc.
Broccoli is fibrous and the water content is comparatively high. It is bursting with fiber that only one serving contains approx. 15% of the recommended daily value.
Additionally, Broccoli is also a good source of Protein.
Did you know? Sattu is also a source of protein.
Hence, a lot of nutrition is just in one food.
Broccoli is a type of food that can be eaten as raw or cooked. Different cooking methods definitely changes nutritional profile of the food but broccoli is healthy to the diet of any individual whether it is consumed cooked or raw.
More often, it is said that Broccoli provides significantly more nutritional benefits to the body if it is eaten raw. At the bottom line, if an individual like to eat broccoli, so take it as raw because intake of broccoli as raw is more beneficial.
Health benefits of Broccoli:
There are various benefits of broccoli some of them are follows under:
- Vitamin-C → Helps in the absorption of Iron. And it forms collagen.
- It act as antioxidant.
- It helps in cuts and wound healing.
- It helps in fighting from cancer cells.
- It is good for healthy and glowing skin. Lutein prevent skin from dryness. Hence it keeps the body hydrated.
- It helps in detoxification.
- Broccoli lower down the cholesterol level.
- It is really good for eye sight as it is rich in Vitamin A.
- It thinners blood.
- It also control the blood sugar level and blood pressure.
- Broccoli is a food which is keeps the digestion healthy.
- It supports Immune System.
- Eating broccoli makes bones and joints healthy and strong as it contain calcium.
- High content of fiber helps in reducing the risk of heart diseases & cardiovascular diseases.
- More along it helps is making the dental and oral health strong.
- Folate in broccoli helps in production of new cells.
Eating broccoli is highly beneficial due to its high nutritious profile. There are no any side effect which is so how serious to any individual. Although, it can lead to gas or bowl irritation due to high fiber. But it can be cure easily. People with hypothyroidism should limit the intake of broccoli in their diet. Mean to say that, people facing the problem of thyroid should avoid consuming it in a large amount.
Moringa or drumsticks and broccoli are also considered as super food.
A person can take about 1 cup of broccoli per day. It can be taken as meal or snack.
Broccoli is somewhat hard to digest if eaten as raw due to its rich fiber content. So if a person find problem in digestion of eating raw broccoli, it will be easier to stomach to digest if the person cook it instead of eating raw.
Broccoli is sounded as the cheapest veggie.
CALORIE: Broccoli is low in calories. 1 cup of broccoli (100gm) provides 34 calories.
1 bunch of broccoli (608gm) provides 205 calories.
If any individual is consuming 75% of broccoli. The sulforaphane (pungent molecule) will be absorbed in the blood stream and taken up by the cells, which causes cell death.
Some people don’t like to eat Broccoli due to its taste.
There are various methods to eat it and to make it tastier like:
- Eat it by making stuffing in parathas or in sandwiches.
- Add it in the omelets.
- Make pakodies as you do with cauliflower.
And many more ways are there to eat it and to make them tastier.
To keep broccoli fresh and crisp for few days, store it in the vegetable crisper, unwashed in a perforated bag.
In this way, Broccoli is a super food that everyone should bring it in their diet.